Thursday, December 31, 2009

Pizza Barn




Pizza Barn
2021 Foothill Blvd
La Verne
909-392-5555

New Year's Eve, a potluck dinner, no idea what to bring. So I check my email and a very nice reader, gives me a list of about 5-7 restaurants that I should review. I check the links provided and Pizza Barn peaks my interest. Not for the pizza but the Mario's Ultimate Sandwich. So I decide give Pizza Barn a try.

Tuck in the corner of a small strip mall, Pizza Barn is less than 25 yards from Sal's Pizza & Bagelry, and just a few blocks east of Pizza N Stuff and Red Devil Pizza. I found out that Pizza Barn has been open for over 15 years and Sal's moved basically next door about three years before. Why the city of La Verne would allow this to happen is beyond me. Two pizza places so close to each other isn't good for both places.

I got the small pizza, half pepperoni and half sausage, $8.65 and the small Mario's Ultimate Sandwich, $12.49.

The pizza was just loaded with rich, savory cheese. The pepperoni was pretty spicy and had good flavor. The sausage was pretty standard. Nice crispy crust. A good pizza. Better than the other three La Verne pizza places I've reviewed.

The Mario's Ultimate Sandwich is great. A pizza shaped sandwich that is loaded with roast beef, turkey, swiss, mozzarella, provolone cheese, avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, dressing and onions on request. I asked no dressing on the entire sandwich, no roast beef on one side, and the side with roast beef, no avocado. They got the order perfect.

The bread has a lot of sesame seeds, oregano and has a nice crispy crust, with a nice soft texture inside. The meats and cheeses are piled high and everything is fresh. A great great sandwich.

Service is pretty good. You get a dive bar feel, when walking into Pizza Barn. But the owner is nice and friendly.

As I mentioned before, I think the pizza here is better than the three other La Verne pizza places I've been to. So that alone would be enough reason to go back. But the Mario's Ultimate Sandwich, is great and worth the trip alone. To the reader who recommended Pizza Barn, I owe you a drink!!