Saturday, September 26, 2009

Code of Ethics

Code of Ethics:

These are the code of ethics I follow for The New Diner. Yes, I did post The New Diner's Code of Ehtics because there was a story about food bloggers in the LA Times on July 8, 2009.

1. I do NOT accept free meals from the restaurant. All meals are paid for by me or somebody with me. A free meal means your judgement is clouded and you will not give a fair review.

Of course if I had a buy one get one free coupon or the restaurant was offering a free entree to the general public, I will use that and tell readers about that. So basically anything offered to the general public I will use. I don't want free meals or special treatment.

2. I do not accept invitations for a free dinner from restaurant owners. I will accept notices about a new restaurant from restaurant owners. Big John's Cafe emailed me and told me about their new BBQ menu. Of course I made it a point to go there. But I did not accept, nor was I offered a free meal.

Along these same lines, I do not accept any invitations from restaurant owners, who are trying to make up for bad reviews. This has happened to me a couple times where the owner will offer a free or reduced meal or a gift card or a coupon. Why should I waste my time to go back to a restaurant where I had bad service or bad food?

Restaurants need to remember this: You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

3. I have accepted free items and I have mentioned that in my posts. For example, I got a free beer from Carm's Coney but I paid for the rest of my meal and I told readers of The New Diner why I got a free beer.

4. I remain anonymous. I do not tell the server, restaurant owner or anybody that I am reviewing their restaurant. When people ask why I am taking a picture, I tell them "None of your damn business."

5. I will give all readers of The New Diner an accurate account of my experience at a restaurant.