Monday, September 28, 2009

Boiling Crab- Garden Grove




Boiling Crab- Garden Grove
13892 Brookhurst St.
Garden Grove
714-636-4885

I've been to the Boiling Crab in Alhambra and wanted to see if there is any difference with their location in Garden Grove. I got there at 5pm Sunday. The wait for my large group, was almost two hours!!!! You can see the huge line in the first picture. But some people didn't want to wait, so we got seated in a little over an hour.

I wanted some appetizers and got the fried shrimp basket, $8.99. The shrimp was nicely fried in corn meal and good sized shrimp. As good as the Alhambra location.

The day I went, they were out of blue and dungeness crabs!!! But I have never had the King Crab legs at The Boiling Crab, so I got an order of King Crab legs. The King Crab legs were priced at $14.99 per pound. My order was 1.3lbs. I got the mild lemon butter seasoning. The king crab legs were good but not as fresh as I thought they would be. They were a bit tough and chewy. The seasoning wasn't that good either. It seems as though the seasonings were just sitting around for too long in a pot. Something was missing with the seafood at this location.

Service was very good. They were nice and friendly and we got served quickly.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the Garden Grove location. They get a ton of turnover, so there is no reason for the seafood not to be fresh.

The prices for the seafood were a bit cheaper at the Garden Grove location, but that could be a matter of supply. I went to the Alhambra location back in June and the prices of seafood could have been higher back in June.

I would think twice about coming back to the Garden Grove location. It didn't live up to the high standards that I've come to expect from The Boiling Crab.