Saturday, May 03, 2008

Porky's BBQ- Long Beach-Closed


Porky's
937 Redondo Ave
Long Beach
562-434-9999

As readers of The New Diner know, I've been to the Porky's in Inglewood well they opened up a take out location in Long Beach. Some of the differences between the Inglewwood and Long Beach location is that Long Beach do not have the Golden Bird fried chicken and Long Beach is mainly take out, there are a few tables and chairs but you're better off going to a park or taking it home to eat.

I ordered the lunch portion of their pork ribs, $7.99, with cole slaw as my side. Of course this being take out, you're not going to get the presentation that the Inglewood location gives you. But the ribs are about the same. They are good sized and taste OK but hardly overwhelming. A friend and I went to a nearby park to eat our meals but the ribs weren't very warm when we got there. The park isn't more than a mile from Porky's and it only took us about 10 minutes to get there. The ribs should have been much warmer. They also could have been more tender and they put way too much rub on there. I could take the brown sugar and I believe cuman.

Service was good. Since they had only been open for five days, they had somebody passing out menus to everybody. He was very nice and friendly. I told him how I had been to the Inglewood location. The lady who took our order was very nice and friendly too.

I don't see any difference in the food between the Long Beach and Inglewood location. OK food but nothing great. In Long Beach I still prefer LBQ. I would not go back to Porky's, even if I'm in the area. I would just make the trip up to LBQ.