Sunday, June 04, 2006

Broaster Kitchen-Updated Review




Broaster Kitchen
1440 W Beverly Blvd
Montebello,
(323) 722-4190

A few weeks ago I was in the area and noticed Broaster Kitchen. Since I loved the other broasted chicken places, Pittsburgh Chicken and Taters and Chicken Box, I tried, I decided to stop in. I learned Broaster Kitchen has been in business since 1969, so I hope that was a good sign.

I ordered the four piece chicken pack for $5.62. As with all other broasted chicken places, the chicken is cooked to order so I waited about 10 minutes before my order was ready. The chicken had a different texture than the other broasted chicken places I've been to. I think they just season the chicken and drop it into the broaster instead of using any batter. Thus the chicken was as crunchy as other places. The inside of the breast piece was very moist and tender. I was very impressed. The dark pieces was smaller than I expected but still pretty good and moist. Maybe one of the most moist chicken I've had.

Service was decent with a bunch of HS aged kids forced to work there for a paycheck. The girl didn't ask if I wanted to eat there or take out.

If I were in the area I would go back but I wouldn't rush to go back. I think the skin could be much better.

Update-December 8, 2011

On my original trip to Broaster Kitchen in 2006, I wasn't an overwhelmed by the broasted chicken. But, a few trips afterward, I was really impressed with the broasted chicken. The chicken was juicy, the skin perfectly crispy and well seasoned. I even compared all broasted chicken restaurants to Broaster Kitchen.

But, I didn't do an updated review. So, I figured I was enjoy some great broasted chikcen and do an updated review. I went back to Broaster Kitchen and ordered two breast pieces, $2.50 each. I noticed they had a B rating from the health department, while a good grade, not the top grade.

While waiting for my order I looked around the restaurant, which opened in 1970, and it could really use a good cleaning in the dining area. Dust and dirt on the walls, the decorations-a country farm motif, and dirty and slippery floors.




Anyways, I get my order and cut into the first piece and I was shocked to see a section of the chicken still not fully cooked!! As you can see from the picture the center part was clearly undercooked. I took it back and wanted to see how they handled this situation.


They failed, because instead of cooking a new piece, all they did was cook the piece I returned. Of course, it made the skin soggy and the meat very dry. Not good at all.



While they were properly cooking the first piece, I cut into the second piece, which is properly cooked. But, sadly what used to be a great broasted chicken turned back into the broasted chicken I had during my first visit. The skin lacked seasoning, had that same weak crunch. The inside was a bit dry.

Service was below average. While the young girl taking my order was nice, she just threw my receipt, with my order number, at me. While waiting for my order, she was checking her phone all the time. She should have been cleaning because the restaurant is dirty.

I already mentioned how poorly they handled the undercooked chicken. Come on, you should just cook a fresh batch!

I was really looking forward to going back to Broaster Kitchen because my past few visits, I had great broasted chicken. Sadly, this visit made me realize, I do not need to come back here again. Indifferent service, undercooked chicken, inconsistent bland chicken, and a dirty restaurant. Why should I come back here?