Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Chicken Box- West Covina-Closed



Chicken Box
202 Glendora Ave.
West Covina, CA
626-919-3513

The sign on the window says serving West Covina for 32 years. I went there for the first time last year and have been going back ever since.

I love their broasted chicken. Monday nights they have a special 10 pieces and a choice of fries or broasted potatoes for $10.99. The chicken has a very nice crunch and is very juicy and moist. Not a big fan of their broasted potatoes. But their fries are good.

Pictured is a three piece chicken (breast, leg, and thigh) special with fries and onion rings for $6.05.

I've also had their seafood plate. 2 jumbo shrimp, 2 fried fish, and 3 scallops. All deep fried to a nice brown. Very good stuff. $8.99

Shrimp basket, about 20 pieces of crunchy shrimp for $4.59.

I think one of their best deals is the Sampler Plate. 2 pieces of chicken, 1 rib, 1 jumbo shrimp and 1 piece of fish. $8.99. The ribs are baby backs and have a nice flavor. Not smoked but some of the better ribs around. The shrimp is crunchy a good size. The fish can get soggy so eat it quickly.

The only thing that I didn't like was their chicken strips. Very thin and not cruch at all.

Update. I went back in September and they screwed up my Sampler Platter order. What was suppose to be all white meat and they charged about 60 cents extra, was one leg and one thigh. I called over and they said they would fix it. So I go back the next day and order a seafood plate. I mentioned the order screw up and they said they would give me a breast and a wing to make up for the mix up. I go to pay and they want to charge me for the breast and wing. I said you forgot to take off the chicken. They made things right. But I'm not happy about the screw up.

The service is good but the weekday hours are terrible, they only open at 3pm. Mostly take out though there are two tables.

The Chicken Box has another location in La Habra though the prices in La Habra are about 5% higher.