Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Juan Pollo


Juan Pollo
300 S. Garey Ave
Pomona, CA 91766
(909) 469-4779

If readers of The New Diner read my review of the First McDonalds, they know that the owner of Juan Pollo brought the site of the first McDonalds and are using the site as their corporate offices. I have passed by a lot of Juan Pollo restaurants but never went in.

So I finally decided to go try Juan Pollo and see how their rotisserie chicken is. At the Pomona location, they have a huge sign out front, where you buy one whole chicken, you get one free. Then you walk inside and you see the fine print, with the purchase of a large side.

I noticed the regular prices for whole chicken, $8 and $16 for two chickens, which includes tortillas and salsa.

For the Tuesday special a whole chicken is $10.99 and the cost of a large side is $2.99. My total, two chickens and a large side-potato salad, was $15.34. So the Tuesday special is basically, the regular price for two chicken, your bonus is a side is included.





I noticed the chickens on rotisserie and thought they were pretty small. They are small. But they are well seasoned and has a lot of flavor. I think they use a rub of salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and other spices. The breast meat was a bit dry but the other pieces were nice and moist.

I didn't take a picture of the potato salad, but it was pretty good. The potatoes were cut so smooth, it was almost like mashed potatoes and I like that. I hate lumpy potato salad. But, the potato salad was a bit salty and had a heavy onion flavor.

Service was OK. There wasn't anything outstanding or anything bad about the service. But, as I was taking a picture of the outside, some delivery man, asked why I was taking pictures? Why the hell is it any of his damn business? If a business is proud of the quality of their product they would be proud that somebody was taking pictures.

I do think Juan Pollo serves good rotisserie chicken, but the chickens are small and a bit pricey. I can go to Costco and get a bigger, better chicken for less.