Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tip Top Meats & European Delicatessen


Tip Top Meats & European Delicatessen
6118 Paseo Del Norte
Carlsbad
760-438-2620

Knowing I was going to The Flower Fields in Carlsbad, I searched online for something to eat afterwards. I found Tip Top Meats & European Delicatessen, which is a German restaurant and market. I figured I would give it a try since most restaurants around The Flower Fields are chains.

When you walk in, you're in the market part of the building, lots of German products. Then you will see a long line along the deli counter. It's counter service with one cash register and for the entire time I was in line, only one person taking orders. While I was eating, a second person came up and started taking orders, why that second person didn't take order earlier, I have no idea.



Anyways, I made the mistake of ordering a french dip, $7.99, with well done fries. I should have ordered a German sausage or schnitzel or a hot sandwich like corned beef. Anyways the french dip was served lukewarm, not hot. The roast beef was dry, a bit chewy and bland; this needed salt in the worst way. The side of au jus, which was hot, also needed some salt, very bland.

The french bread was toasted, but I think it was put in a holding area and then slightly heated when somebody ordered it.

The fries, which I asked for well done, was served lukewarm. They weren't even well done.

Why their hot menu items aren't hot, is beyond me.

Service is OK. The cashier who took your order wasn't friendly at all. She never smiled or gave a welcoming feeling. She was like a robot; asking what you want, giving you a total and then taking your money.

The line moved slowly, but that's a function of the restaurant and not the workers. They need to add another cash register. One register just can't handle the crowds.

The other dishes I saw like the steak, schnitzel, and sausage plate looked very good. So I would go back to Tip Top and try some other dishes, but I wouldn't touch any of the sandwiches.

Oh, The Flowers Fields are really nice. Well worth the $10 admission price and take the wagon ride.