Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cassie's Soul Food Kitchen-Closed

Cassie's Soul Food Kitchen
200 E 1st St
Pomona
909-620-5601

David Allen mentioned Cassie's Soul Food Kitchen in one of his stories, and I was looking forward to Cassie's opening. It took about a month or so, from the time his story came out, until Cassie's opened. Located in the Antique Row of Pomona and right near the train tracks, Cassie's has been open for about two weeks. There is no inside seating, but they have a few tables outside. It's mainly a take out restaurant.



They had other tempting choices; smothered pork chops and shrimp and fries lunch. But, I decided on the short ribs lunch, $12 with fries and red beans and rice. Short ribs are beef ribs that are cut and then slowed cooked. The meat was falling off the bone, tender. But there was too much fat and gristle on the ribs. The BBQ sauce was slightly sweet. I thought the short ribs were just ok, nothing overwhelming.

The fries are steak fries and cooked to order, they were crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside.

I wanted mac and cheese but they said it wouldn't be ready for another 15 minutes. So, I got the red beans and rice, which is fine.

Service is very good. The people are nice and friendly. But, what I didn't like about Cassie's is that they didn't seem ready for service at 1pm on a Saturday. They open at 11am and had Gumbo on the menu, which is served every third Saturday of the month. But, that meant some other items that are on the menu, were not being served. OK that's fine. But, why wasn't the mac and cheese ready? I would doubt you ran out after being opened for two hours.

I'm torn about whether or not I want to go back to Cassie's. Maybe if their entire menu is ready and served, I will go back. But, the short ribs were just average.