Sunday, November 07, 2010

New Taste Dumpling House-Closed

New Taste Dumpling House 301 W. Valley Blvd., #110 San Gabriel 626-282-5953 New Taste was my second stop on the XLB tour, after going to Happy Kitchen. The beef rolls; $6.75, had a thicker pancake, but was cooked perfectly; light, flakey, and not oily. The beef was cooked well, tender and flavorful and they didn't overload the rolls with green onions. The XLB's; $5.95, really lacked flavor and seasoning. I'm guessing this was frozen and then steamed, not fresh at all. I didn't care for this at all. Service, is OK. They do not speak English but they try hard. Now, how would I rank the four XLB in this shopping center? My favorite is Jin Jian, followed by Happy Kitchen, then Mei Long Village; with New Taste ranking last. If New Taste sound familiar, it's the restaurant, where the former mayor of San Gabriel made a fool of himself, that lead to his resignation.