Thursday, June 24, 2010

Eastside Market Italian Deli

Eastside Market Italian Deli
1013 Alpine St
Los Angeles, CA 90012
213-250-2464

The first time I heard about Eastside Market, was when they catered a Christmas dinner. I was pretty impressed with their chicken and lemon capers and their pasta dishes. Later, when I read more about Eastside Market, I found they had; been in business since 1929 and had some good sandwiches. So I decided to give them a try.

The first thing you'll notice about Eastside Market, during a weekday lunch time, is the amount of cops and city of LA, employees. I've never seen so many badges!! If you got a complaint with the city of LA, go to Eastside Market and you may find the person who can help you.




#9, cold cut combo with cheese, $7.10. Turkey, salami, mortadella, capicollo, and ham with provolone cheese, mayo, lettuce and tomato, on Italian roll. I loved this sandwich. Being an Italian deli, I was a bit surprised they didn't put Italian dressing and olive oil on sandwiches. But I hate that stuff on a sandwich, so it didn't matter. But overall a very good quality cold cuts, fresh veggies, on a nice firm Italian roll. The amount of meat and the quality of the meat, makes this sandwich a steal.




#7, roast beef, pastrami, and cheese, topped with a red peppers sauce, $7.10. This is their most popular sandwich. The sandwich is more like a french dip, because this is a messy sandwich. The roast beef and pastrami are soaking in natural juices, then stacked onto the roll with the pepper sauce. But this isn't too soggy because the Italian roll is firm and absorbs the juices and pepper sauce very well. There is a ton of roast beef and pastrami stacked on this sandwich. The roast beef is a bit chewy, but I like it. The pastrami has a very nice texture and flavor. This was a huge sandwich and well worth the price.

Service. Don't be scared off by the lines, they move quickly because 4-5 people are making sandwiches for you. The guy who served me was pretty quick. But he had major attitude when he had to repeat my order. I mean it's crowded as hell, the place is noisy and he is barely talking above a whisper. Yeah, I'm suppose to be able to hear you over that. Another guy is the cashier and he was nice and helpful.
There is only street parking but no meters, a benefits of Eastside Deli being a city worker's favorite?

I would go back to Eastside Deli any time. I loved the sandwiches and the price, is a steal. Eastside is so much better than the last Italian deli I went to, Angelo's Italian Deli.