Thursday, June 03, 2010

Brits Fish & Chips-Closed

Brits Fish & Chips
1770 E Colorado Blvd
Pasadena
626-720-3778

My favorite fish and chips restaurant in the LA area is, England Fish and Chips, nobody comes close to the great prices, great pieces of fried cod, and service.

I heard about Brits a few months back but I didn't really make an effort in trying Britt's. Why? I saw Brits menu and price for fish and chips and the last time I paid that much, I had terrible fish and chips at Henry's Hat, not to mention bad service.

Anyways, I was back in the Pasadena area and decided what the hell, and tried Brits.




The fish and chips, $10.95, comes with peas and a side salad. I didn't take a picture of the salad. It was your regular salad from a bag; iceberg lettuce, carrots, etc. The salad was fresh.

The fish was actually pretty good. I had heard they use haddock, a lower quality fish than cod. But the menu said cod, I asked the bartender if it was cod, and got a yes. When I broke the piece in two, I could tell it was cod. So Britts gets some points there.

The batter was a lighter batter than I'm used. It wasn't super crunchy, more crispy. It was also a bit saltier than I like it.

But the cod itself was pretty good. Nice and firm fish, I'm guessing they use fresh, not frozen cod. A good example of what fish and chips should be.

The fries are steak fries that are nice and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Pretty good. But when I order fish and chips, I don't care about the fries.

An extra piece of fish is $4.95. I think I would pass on an extra piece at that price. The fish is good but nothing will beat the price and value of the fish at England Fish and Chips.

But with that said, the $10.95 price at Brits is not only a good value but the fish is good too.

Service was good. There are two parts to Brits, the bar area and a dining area. I walked into the dining area but I wanted my order to go. The bartender greeted me, when he saw me. He could have asked if I needed a menu but no biggie since I already knew what I wanted. I walked over to the bar and placed my order.

I would go back to Brits for the fish and chips.