Sunday, April 04, 2010

Golden Bird



Golden Bird
13501 Avalon Blvd
Los Angeles
310-324-2486

I never realized that a few blocks north of Jay Bees BBQ on Avalon Blvd., is Golden Bird Fried Chicken. I have reviewed two other Golden Bird locations, Golden Bird on Venice, and the Golden Bird in Inglewood, both are now closed.

Golden Bird in it's hey day, was one of the best fried chicken restaurants in the LA Area. But slowly Golden Birds closed down, leaving only a few locations left.

This Golden Bird location, is interesting because they have a ton of bottled soda for sale. They sell Bubble Up, Sioux City, and other smaller brands, at prices that rival, Galco Soda Shop.




I ordered two breast pieces, $5.90. Some people may wonder, why I only get chicken pieces, well I could care less about sides. I don't need to waste money on sides, I don't normally eat. Plus when I go to a fried chicken place, I'm most concerned about fried chicken. I mean, if a restaurants serves great fried chicken but average sides, are you will you stop going to that restaurant? Of course not, you would stop ordering the damn sides.

Anyways, the two breasts were huge, when I got the bag it was heavy. Always a good sign. The skin is much more crunchy, light, and airy than the other Golden Bird locations. The inside was moist but you could tell that this chicken was fried awhile ago, and had been sitting under heat lamps. And because of that, it was greasy, since all the oil had time to settle. While I was eating the chicken, I was thinking this would be great if fresh out of the fryer.

Service was good at the restaurant. Nice, helpful and friendly people. But when I called, the lady who answered the phone was rude and not helpful at all. I called because, I went on Easter Sunday. Well many businesses are closed on Easter, so I wanted to make sure Golden Bird was open, because I'm not wasting my time and money to drive down there for nothing.

I would go back to this Golden Bird location, because it has potential. If the chicken I had was right out of the fryer, I would say this was a great fried chicken. So hopefully the next time I go, I'll get chicken that has just came out of the fryer.