Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The Slaw Dogs-Closed

The Slaw Dogs
720 N Lake Ave, #8
Pasadena
626-808-9777

Even with all this rain, I've been waiting for baseball season to start. So what goes better with baseball? You got it, a hot dog. I found The Slaw Dogs whiling driving around Pasadena. I had to check and see what they had.

At The Slaw Dogs, the hot dogs are served steamed but you can get them charbroiled or rippered, if you ask. Then you can top your hot dog with three standard toppings for free, .39 cents for each additional topping after three. You can also get custom toppings like bacon, fried egg, and many others for $1 per topping.



I decided to stick with the basics, getting a Vienna all beef dog, $3.49. I wanted the jumbo all beef, $4.49, but they were sold out. I got regular mustard, raw onions, and sauerkraut as my three toppings.

The hot dog itself was great. Nice flavor and spices, though it lacked a snap. The toppings were fresh and good but they put too much sauerkraut, which made the bun soggy.

But overall a very good hot dog.




So then I decided to try the natural casing dog, rippered, $3.99, with regular mustard and raw onions. WOW, this was great. The hot dog had a nice fried texture, a bit different than the ripper I got from Fab's, but still good. The spices and flavor were great. Again the toppings were great too.

Service is great. A mother and son run The Slaw Dogs and they are nice and friendly and helpful.

What a relief, I don't have to drive all the way into the Valley for a great hot dog, I can just go to Pasadena. A very welcomed addition and one I will be back very soon.