Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pann's Restaurant


Pann's Restaurant
6710 La Tijera Blvd
Los Angeles
310-670-1441

A few miles from Dinah's Family Restaurant is Pann's Restaurant. A diner style restaurant that opened the same year that the drunk, bastard mick, stole the Brooklyn Dodgers from their rightful home, 1958.

I have heard that Pann's has some of the best fried chicken in LA and I decided to give it a try.




Pann's had a $6 special, two pieces of chicken; your choice of white or dark meat, choice of sides, I got the mashed potatoes, and a biscuit. A great deal, that is offered Monday to Friday only.

The skin had a light batter and was crispy. But I thought the skin lacked seasoning, pretty bland. They need to seasoning to their fried chicken. Inside of the chicken was moist and tender. I did like this better than Dinah's but I don't consider Pann's the best fried chicken in LA.

The mashed potatoes were great!! Creamy with bits of potatoes, so that you knew this was made from scratch, not some damn box. I didn't care for the brown gravy which was made from a mix and pretty bland. I also did't like the fact they gave me a whole portion of mashed potatoes but a small portion of gravy.

Pann's regular fried chicken is half a chicken for $11.95. I don't think the thigh and leg piece is worth the extra $6.

Service was good. The host was very nice. I walked in and he was busy at the register and there were 2-3 other people waiting. Once he was done at the register, he came over and asked "Who was here first?" Great customer service. Some places just go to the first person they see.

I sat at the counter and it did take awhile for a server to come by. But a busboy got me some water and he kept refilling the water, the entire time I was there. Awesome.

My server was nice, friendly and hard working. She had a lot of tables and was attentive as she could be, and anybody reasonable person could expect.

I wouldn't mind going back to Pann's but I wouldn't rush over there. I do think Pann's serves a better fried chicken than Dinah's, but Pann's is a bit expensive, if you order off the regular menu.