Saturday, October 31, 2009

Bob's Big Boy Broiler- Downey







Bob's Big Boy Broiler
7447 Firestone Blvd
Downey
562-928-2627

Bob's Big Boy Broiler used to be Johnny's Broiler in Downey. This was a very popular hang out during the 50's and 60's. But as time went on, it lost it's popularity. In 2008 the owner of the property tried to illegally tear down the leftover of Johnny's Broiler. But people who care about preserving history called the police and stopped the illegal tearing down. The owner of the Bob's Big Boy in Torrance, worked out a deal to put up a Bob's Big Boy, complete with car hop service.

I went to the Bob's in West Covina, because I want to support Bob's. While the West Covina location has a modern and not the classic design, like the Bob's in Burbank, it is still nice to see Bob's making a comeback. But I was really excited to go to Bob's Big Boy Broiler since it had the classic old school design. I have heard Bob's will open an classic style restaurant in Pasadena sometime next year.

Driving on Firestone Blvd, you can't miss Bob's Big Boy Broiler!!! They have carhop service daily from 4-10pm. I got there too late for carhop service and the wait for a table was about 30 minutes, so I decided to get a table at the counter.

I got my usual super Big Boy combo, $7.99 and the chili spaghetti, $8.99. Yes, those prices are different than the prices on the carhop sign. Oh well. The super Big Bob combo was great. Fresh and hot, like it should be. The cheese was melted, the meat was cooked and seasoned correctly and the red relish had that tangy flavor. So good.

I love a five way!!! Come on now, get your minds out of the gutter. A five way the way Cincinnati chili is served. You have spaghetti, chili and cheddar cheese, beans, and onions. You can get a three way, no beans or onions. A four way, either with beans or onions. And what I love, a five way!!! Cincinnati chili is much different than chili from other regions.

Bob's does a three way using their own chili. The chili at Bob's is thinner and not spicy. But it has good flavor and taste. The spaghetti was cooked just right. A good dish that I finally tried after all the times I went to Bob's!!!

Service at the counter was very good. The server was nice and friendly and helpful. One thing I did notice, since I had great view of where the food is waiting to be picked up by the servers, the other servers were a bit slow. I saw three Big Boy combos sitting at the counter for at least 10 minutes. The other servers need to move a lot faster. My server was great, the burger was hot and fresh. But other diners that night did not get a hot fresh burger since it was sitting around for too long.

I would go back to Bob's Big Boy Broiler anytime. Such a great sense of nostalgia and good food.