Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bonello's New York Pizza-Closed



Bonello's New York Pizza
16006 Crenshaw Blvd
Gardena
310-327-0355

As all readers of The New Diner, should know I love Village Pizzeria. I have searched for other NY style pizza places in LA and have found a few places that come close like
Vito's Pizza and Rocco's Pizza but nothing tops Village Pizzeria.

I heard about Bonello's New York Pizza and I went down to Gardena to see how they measure up to Village Pizzeria. Bonello's is across the street from El Camino College, so they must do a damn good business during lunch time.

I got the combo deal, two slices of pizza, pepperoni and sausage, salad and a soda for $7. A pretty good deal. First thing I noticed was the smaller slices. At Village Pizzeria they are much bigger. Now Bonello's isn't tiny, it is a good size but I wouldn't call these slices huge.

The slices had a great crust. Nice texture, a bit crispy and held onto the cheese and toppings well. But the toppings, other than the cheese, weren't anything that great. The pepperoni was ok, nothing great. The sausage had a bit more flavor but there just wasn't anything there. The sauce was a bit bland. They do put a lot of cheese on the pizza and they cheese is great. Goey, stringy, and melted!!!! A plain cheese pizza is the way to go here.

Service was pretty good. Bonello's is cash only.

I wouldn't make a special trip for Bonello's but if I was in the area, I would go back. But like I said, the cheese pizza is the way to go. I am not impressed with their meat toppings