Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Yankee Doodles- Long Beach-Closed



Yankee Doodles- Long Beach
4100 E Ocean Blvd
Long Beach
562-439-9777

I've been to the Yankee Doodles in Santa Monica. So when I found out there was Yankee Doodles in Long Beach, I was expecting basically the samething. But I was in for a big surprise.

I got the combo platter, $10.50, with wings, chicken strips, and popcorn chicken. I got one chicken strip, that was cut up it up into four pieces. Give me a break. This chicken strip was about as good those frozen chicken strips you get at the market. Not impressed.

Another item that wasn't impressive was the popcorn chicken. Most were warm, as if they were sitting under heat lamps. There wasn't much chicken at all. Yes, there were a lot of popcorn chicken but most were just filled with air. Not impressive.

The only thing that was impressive was the wings. They were hot, spicy, and good size. They had a lot of meat on them. The sauce was very good and spicy. Four wings made up for the sorry popcorn chicken and chicken strips.

Service was good. There was only one bartender there and she was working pretty hard.

I'll be honest, this is a dive. A dump. I was shocked to see a sports bar in this time period, that isn't full of flat screen HD TV's. Most of the TV's there were the old models. The seats were ripped, carpets dirty, just a dive.

I am not sure if they the Yankee Doodles in Long Beach and Santa Monica are part of the same chain or if they are owned by different owners. But whatever the case, if I lived in Long Beach, I would drive up to Santa Monica location than go back to the Long Beach location again.