Sunday, February 08, 2009

Clearman's Galley



Clearman's Galley
7215 N Rosemead Blvd
San Gabriel
626-286-1484

Back in 2006, I reviewed the Original Clearman's Galley and told readers of The New Diner, that The Boat, as Clearman's Galley is called, was being torn down to make room for a Kohl's and eventually The Boat would reopen.

Well here we are in 2009 and The Boat has finally opened. The Boat just moved a little bit south of their original location, The Boat is facing Rosemead Blvd. The new Boat is so much bigger than the old boat.

I ordered the fish and fries, $8.25. The fish is cod and you get three decent sized pieces. The batter is light and pretty crispy. The cod is flakey and moist. It's pretty good but nothing outstanding. The fries are cut thicker and was pretty bad. But I don't normally eat fries. So it's not that big of a deal.

Service was OOOOOK. When I got there the line was so long, it wasn't even funny. People were there to watch the Lackers play Cleveland, so that was part of the reason for the long time. Also the reopening of The Boat, has brought back a lot of people. But one hour to place my order? Then another ten minutes for my order to arrive? Not good. The food certainly wasn't worth the long wait. But then again I wasn't going to make another trip back here to try the food. So I waited and waited in line. But the cooks who take your order, the cashiers, and the young ladies who bring you out your orders are nice and friendly. They are working as hard and as fast as they can. But man it wasn't fun waiting in that line.

I sat outside because they have a covered patio and I didn't want to be around fans who root for a rapist on the Lackers. The only problem is that a bunch of damn smokers are near you and since those scumbags can't go for more than ten minutes without lighting up, they go outside and smoke.

Like I said, I wouldn't go out of my way to come back to The Boat. I wanted to go to the reopening and really, nothing has changed. The food is decent and a good price. I would come back but I wouldn't wait in a long line again.

Update Feb 10, 2009



After going to Charley Brown's for appetizers I went to meet a buddy back at The Galley. While the Lackers were on, it wasn't as crowded as the last time I went. This time I had the chili size, $6.95. A chili size is a cheeseburger patty covered with chili. It comes with a garlic cheese bread and salad. The chili is a very mild chili, no beans, and I think a bit bland. But the thing I didn't like was the chili wasn't hot. Maybe luke warm. I don't think it's asking too much for hot food to be hot. The burger was a bit overcooked and nothing special.

The bread is great. It's more cheese than garlic but it's good. The salad is very fresh and just drown in blue cheese dressing. It's really just lettuce but it's good.

The one difference I noticed between the Original Clearman's Galley and this new Galley is that the chili size comes on a plate, not some paper plate.