Saturday, June 24, 2006

Maurice Snack N Chat-Closed



Maurice Snack N Chat
5068 W. Pico Blvd.
LA
323-931-3879

Maurice Snack N Chat is a fried chicken place a couple blocks west of Roscoe's on Pico. I found Maurice didn't live up to the hype. Their menu is limited and served al carte with one hush puppy. I order a breast for $6.44. The lady goes into the kitchen, puts a cast iron pan on the stove, poured some oil in the pan, got some fresh chicken, coated it with flour and placed it into the hot oil. Now that's real fried chicken. Of course this takes a long time, about twenty minutes. So either call ahead or leave plenty of time to enjoy the food.

So after twenty minutes the order arrives and I decide to go to Oki's Dogs and eat the chicken there. I was surprised when I opened up the container to see four pieces of chicken breast. It's clear the breast was cut into four pieces. I peeled off the skin and tried to see how crispy it was. It was pretty crispy with a nice combination of spices. Then I tried the actual breast meat and it was as dry as a desert. The flavor was pretty good but when the chicken is dry, it doesn't matter.

Service was great. The lady was friendly and made me feel welcome. But I wouldn't go back to Maurice's again. Prices are high and the food isn't anything to brag about. The broasted chicken I've had, from Chicken Box, and Broaster Kitchen are much better. I was expecting wonderful chicken and I when I saw the way she was preparing the chicken, I thought I would be tasting the best fried chicken in LA. But it didn't happen and I'm still looking for the best fried chicken in LA.