Thursday, January 05, 2006

Johnny Reb's



Johnny Reb's
2940 E. Chapman Ave.
Orange
714633-3369

Johnny Reb's was listed as one of the Top 9 BBQ places in the LA area by 9 On The Town.

http://www.9onthetown.com/Segments/1199top9bbq.htm

So I decide to try what it's all about. First thing I find out Reb is short for Rebels. Not politically correct but the servers are far from being a Southern racist idiot.

I ordered the half rack of the St. Louis Style ribs for $12.29, with Texas caviar and well done fries as my two sides. I only ordered the Texas caviar as a way to say Thank you to the T-sips for beating the FRAUD usc team the other night. Texas caviar is black eyed peas in a vinaigrette, served chilled. I like black eyed peas but Texas Caviar isn't for me.

The well done fries were ok. A little better than normal but when I first tasted them, they weren't that hot. So either it was sitting around for awhile in the kitchen or the server took a while to delivery our order.

The ribs lacked a rub or at least I couldn't taste any rub. The ribs weren't that meaty and they had a little too much fat for my tastes. Backwoods had more meat on the ribs. A good smoke flavor though not overpowering. The BBQ sauce was very good, maybe the best BBQ sauce I've had in a long time. Just the perfect blend of sweetness and spice. The sauce doesn't overpower the ribs.

I liked Johnny Reb's and enjoyed eating there. Johnny Rebs is about two blocks east of The Rib Trader. I would like to go back to try their chicken fried steak and their Southern breakfast.