Sunday, October 11, 2009

Benjies


Benjies
1828 N. Tustin Ave
Santa Ana, CA 92705
714-541-6263

Among the many things lacking in the OC is a good New York style deli. It sure as hell isn't the Katella Deli and after my trip to Benjies, I am still searching for a good New York style deli in the OC. Some idiots on Yelp think Benjies is a Kosher deli but it is NOT a kosher deli since it serves cheeseburgers and sandwiches with meat and cheese.

Anyways I ordered the #5 triple decker; corned beef, pastrami, and swiss cheese on rye bread, $11.50 and comes with fries. The sandwich was cut into thirds, piled pretty high and came hot. But the cutting the sandwich into thirds, may make it seem as though the sandwich is big, the sandwich is smaller than other delis I've been to.

But the quality of the meat wasn't that good. Both the corned beef and pastrami was dry and very salty. And I know that both pastrami and corned beef are made from the brisket, which has a lot of fat, it was too fatty for me. The rye bread was standard, nothing special.

The fries were crinkle cut fries of the frozen variety. Again nothing special.

Service was pretty good but our server was gone for a long period of time.

Benjies is better than Katella Deli but that is like saying you're the tallest midget. No reason for me to come back here.