Monday, July 21, 2008

Katella Deli





Katella Deli
4470 Katella Ave
Los Alamitos
562-594-8611

I thought I found an actual deli without having to make the long drive to Canter's Deli. But Katella Deli is a very average deli located near the Los Alamitos race track.

I got their Bronx Delight, hot corned beef, hot pastrami, salami, swiss cheese and Russian Dressing on rye bread, $10.50. I hate salami and ordered turkey instead, maybe not the best combination but that's what I wanted.

The sandwich arrived quickly. But the hot meats, corned beef and pastrami were not hot, more like luke warm. Both the corned beef and pastrami were pretty bland and they seemed like low quality meats. No boarshead meats served here.

The turkey was cold and dry. I wish they put the Russiona dressing on the turkey part of the sandwich.

I was impressed with the amount of meat on the sandwich but no the quality.

Service was good. But I sat at the counter and most of the servers speak with a heavy Spanish accent. One older white lady, was a real bitch to the other servers and cooks. One time she asked for something from the cooks and in a very nasty way, repeated the request, in a tone that could only be taken as, Learn to speak English.
But my server was fine, even though she had to ask the manager if I could get turkey instead of salami.

I would not go back to Katella Deli again for the deli sandwiches. Since I was sitting at the counter, I saw the fried chicken dinner and burger that looked very good. So I will try those items if I go back to Katella Deli.