Thursday, January 06, 2011

Slater's 50/50 Burgers-Closed

Slater's 50/50 Burgers 6362 E Santa Ana Canyon Rd Anaheim 714-685-1103 Slater's is known for the 50/50 burger patties. 50% of the patty is beef and 50% of the patty is bacon!! Yes, bacon!!! So I knew I wanted to give Slater's a try. I have been to many gourmet burger places in Orange County, in fact Slater's maybe my first. Slater's offers their line of signature burgers, a burger of the month; it was a chili cheese topped with Frito's, the day we went, and a build your own burger. The burgers come in 1/3lb, 1/2lb, and one pound sizes, and those sizes are after cooking. The signature burger at Slater's is The 50/50, but I'm not a fan of a fried egg on top of my burgers, so I got the Old Timey. The Old Timey, $9.45, has American cheese, grilled onions, green leaf lettuce, tomato and 1000 island dressing. It normally comes with an all beef patty, but I got the 50/50 patty instead, no extra charge. The 50/50 are cooked to well done, because of the bacon, but the patty has a lot of pink inside. I was wondering how a burger that is 50% bacon and 50% beef would taste. Now, I understand why they have to cook the burger through. But, I thought the 50/50 was a bit dry. Though, it is easy to notice the difference in flavors. You know you're not eating just beef. I liked the 50/50, but I wouldn't call it the best burger I've ever had. They could have put a bit more 1000 island dressing, but the toppings were fresh. Service, from the hostess to the server was outstanding!!! The hostesses were young, maybe high school aged girls. Whenever I see hostesses like that, I assume they are just there for the money and could care less about customer service. But, the hostess who helped me was great. She greeted me, which many other restaurants do not do, and was very nice and friendly. The server we had was great. Her name was Laura and she was very helpful and attentive. I don't think my glass of water ever went below half full, because she was always refilling drinks. Now the burgers did take a bit longer than I would expect, but that's not always the server's fault. And, besides, something like this can be overlooked, when the service was outstanding. I would go back to Slater's and try a beef burger or maybe, even try the 50/50 burger.