Friday, September 24, 2010

Corsica Italian Delicatessen

Corsica Italian Delicatessen
8111 Foothill Blvd
Sunland
818-352-7213

The San Fernando Valley is an interesting place. Many people, outside of California, think "cities" like Northridge, Van Nuys, and Sunland are actual cities. But they are really "communities" Those communities are part of the city of Los Angeles.

But each of these communities, each have their own unique flavor and but one thing they have in common is that, they are a bunch of NIMBY's.

So, while I understand Sunland isn't a "city" it is a community that I haven't reviewed a restaurant. So I was going to be in the area for lunch and looked for some sandwich places. I found Corsica Italian Delicatessen and wanted to give them a try.



The first thing I noticed about Corsica, is it's huge menu. They have so many sandwich choices. I finally decided to get a Clark's Special, $8.99; cappocolla, pastrami, and swiss cheese, with mayo, lettuce and tomatoes on french roll. The sandwich usually comes with hot pepper cheese but I don't like hot pepper cheese.

There was about a quarter pound of meats on the sandwich. But both the cappocolla and pastrami weren't anything special. They were standard lunch meat from any supermarket deli section. They were ok, but nothing outstanding and not worth the high price.

But the french roll was soft, with a very chewy texture, almost like a Philly cheesesteak roll. Maybe the best part of the sandwich.

Service was very good. The lady who took my order was very nice, if a bit talkative. She told me about the area and the fact that Corsica has been around for about 40 years.

I wasn't impressed with Corsica and I wouldn't go back for their sandwiches. High prices for ok quality meats, isn't worth it.