Friday, April 09, 2010

Doner G Turkish & Mediterranean Grill

Doner G Turkish & Mediterranean Grill
2139 E Ball Rd
Anaheim
714-956-0123

As I write this review in the early morning hours of April 9, 2010, I think back to the early morning hours of April 9, 2009. Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart was killed by a drunk driver, just a few hours after pitching his best game as a major leaguer. I've driven by the intersection of Lemon and Orangethorpe in Fullerton so many times. I have driven south on Lemon like the car Adenhart was going in. I have driven east on Orangethorpe, like the driver of the car who killed three people that horrible night. I also remember that a couple professional athletes got DUI after Adenhart was killed, including a Dodger pitcher. Stupid. I remember all the press about the Angels and how the celebrated winning the AL West, by pouring champagne and beer on Adenhart's jersey. The bad press was stupid. Alcohol is legal, for everybody over 21, but alcohol and driving never mix. That is is really stupid.

I'm old enough to remember when Lyman Bostock was murdered, back in 1978. The Angels played the very next day, at Comiskey Park in Chicago. I thought the Angels should have played the A's the next day.

While I believe that drunk driver is guilty as hell, there is no way in hell, he is going to get a fair trial in Orange County. It will be interesting to see if a judge will move the trial to another location.

But I have this question: many people die because of a drunk driver. Why aren't people up in arms when the average Joe, including innocent kids, are killed because of a drunk driver?

Having lived in Glendale for a few years, and getting to know Armenian people, I was a bit torn about trying a Turkish restaurant in the month of April. Turkey hasn't admitted the Armenian Genocide occurred, and our current President, who throws a baseball like a damn girl, never fulfilled one of his campaign promises to Armenian-Americans.

Of course, I think Armenian Genocide was terrible, but that isn't my fight, I'm not Armenian or Turk. So I decided to see what Doner G is all about.



Chicken shish kebob, $7.99, with two salads.

The chicken shish kebob, was a bit unseasoned, not bland just needed more seasoning. But fairly moist and tender.

The two salads included a romaine lettuce based salad with red cabbage, that I didn't touch. The romaine lettuce was fresh, cut in thin pieces and topped with an olive oil and lemon juice dressing. The other salad had tomatoes and cucumbers and was also topped with the olive oil and lemon juice dressing. The tomatoes and cucumbers were fresh and tasty.




No, that isn't a burrito. It is the doner wrap, that I also ordered for $5.99. The first picture is how the doner wrap was served. The second picture, of course, is after I opened the wrap to show readers of The New Diner, what is inside the doner wrap. I wanted to cut the doner wrap in half, but I only had a dinner knife and that wouldn't have done the job.

A doner is the Turkish version of the Gyro or the Shawarma, which are meats that are cooked in a vertical broiler. But this doner was very dry and again lacked seasoning, very bland. The wrap was nothing but a damn flour tortilla!! What the hell is this? A Turkish-Mexican fusion?

Service was good. The guy was nice and friendly and helpful.

I was really hoping Doner G would be a good option to go before an Angel game. But I wouldn't go back to Doner G. The prices are good but the kebobs and doner aren't anything special.

Update: May 21, 2010.

I got this comment, from somebody who I think is the owner. He included a phone number that was not the store's number. So I decided to reprint his comment and give my reply.

Dear Friend

I am very upsed that you have bad experiance at DonerG Restaurant.

I saw the wrap picture but I must say ,I even really did not like to look.

I ensure you that we are not this,If you give us a chance again I really would like to show our real taste,

I already talked to the guy who was there at that date and I told him I did not like it.

The New Diner's reply.

I am glad that owners are willing to take responsibility for their restaurants. The owner of Doner shows he cares. I like that. He didn't do what some other owners have done; make personal attacks to me or offer me a free or reduced price meal. I have had owners email me and asked for me to try their restaurant again and offered a free or greatly reduced meal. Whenever an owner emails me and offers a free meal or discount meal, I know exactly what the owner wants; for me to change my review. I would never do anything like that.

I do believe in second chances but in LA, there are so many restaurants, I don't feel like going back to a restaurant where I had a bad experience. Why should I waste my money on something that wasn't good, the first time around? Owners should remember, you never have a second chance to make a first impression.

I wasn't overwhelmed with Doner but I didn't think it was terrible. I can chalk things up to a bad day or an inexperience employee. So while I am glad to see the owner of Doner, taking responsibility for his restaurant, I won't be returning.