Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sushi Gen


Sushi Gen
422 E 2nd St
Los Angeles
213-617-0552

I have heard so many good things about Sushi Gen, I had high expectations. Sadly they were not met. What I found was a very expensive and not very good sushi restaurant.



Shrimp tempura, $6. Not good at all. The outside tempura batter was slightly crispy but the inside was mushy and just a messy. It's like the fryer was set too high and inside of making decreasing the tempurature, they just put out a crappy dish.





I went to Sushi Gen with a friend. Their suhi menu doesn't include prices.

My friend ordered the eel, spicy tuna roll, and salmon and fatty tuna.

I got the yellowtail, tuna, and crab. For those seven items, the bill was about $46, roughly $7 per sushi order. I didn't try any of her sushi.

But the yellowtail wasn't fresh, mushy and just not good.

The tuna was better but not that much better.

The only good sushi was the crab, I believe a king crab, with lots of wasibi and a nice texture.

Service was a bit lacking. We had to call for water, our server never bothered to come around that often.

The host told me the wait would be 20-30 minutes, when in reality it was about 45 minutes. I realize the host can't force people out of their table but come on.

Again Sushi Gen didn't live up to the hype. It is a small place but is living on it's reputation, not the current (lack of) quality of the food.