Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Few Thoughts

I have really enjoyed writing and keeping this blog. I want to thank all loyal readers. But even if nobody read this blog, I would still write and update the blog. It is so much fun.

A few things I want to comment on.

I rarely if ever get or care about the side dishes. Most of the times I don't even eat the side dish, a taste or two at most is all I eat. I go to restaurants for the main deal, BBQ ribs, fried chicken, whatever. Of course I will mention if the sides are good. But really if the sides were terrible and the ribs or chicken were great, I would go back to that restaurant and order just the ribs and chicken.

Another thing that has come to my attention. How do I handle bad service at a restaurant? Do I just sit there and take it and then write about it on my blog? Or do I call it to their attention. Basically it depends on the situation. I don't make a big deal, at the time, if a hostess doesn't greeet me. But then I will mention it on my blog. I've worked in retail before and the #1 rule was always greet the customers. Just a simple HI, I will be right with you, is more than enough.

But if the bad service is affecting my meal, then I will say something.

I have also made a point to mention to servers that it is rude to ask, "Do you need change?" I tell them the better phrase is "Thank you, I will be right back with your change." That way I'm reminded if I do need change and forget to tell the server.

My plans for 2009 include doing more reviews in the Inland Empire area. I don't get out to that area much but I need to make an effort to go to more restaurants in that area.

You can always email me any suggestions at thenewdiner@gmail.com