Saturday, December 13, 2008

Code-Closed




Code
4221 Dolphin Sriker Way
Newport Beach
949-660-0888

If the address of Code looks familiar, that's because this location has been home to about six restaurants in the past 10-12 years. I know this used to be Trophy's and Fury.

I went for a happy hour, got there at 5:30pm and it was empty. Nobody there. It got a bit more crowded by 6pm but it was still shockingly slow.

Their happy hour menu is half off most of their menu items. I got the king crab roll, $6. The roll was very small, pretty fresh, and even at half price not worth it. There were very small amounts of king crab. Even the rolls themselves were bite sized rolls. Everything was fresh but not worth even the $6 price.

Service at the bar was good. The bartender was nice and friendly. Even as it got crowded, the bartender would ask if I needed anything. Very nice young lady. Ok, ok, she is nice to look at but that didn't cloud my judgement of her service.

Code to me is typical of OC, especially south OC restaurants, overpriced, average food. I'll admit the interior looked nice and the bar area is huge but who cares if the food isn't good. No reason for me to go back to Code, unless I want to look at Lisa the bartender again.