Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Wildfish



Wildfish
1370 Bison Avenue
Newport Beach
949-720-9925


I went for happy hour and I'm glad I did. I find many new restaurants in South Orange County to be overpriced, average food. But knowing the type of people who live there, they think Cheesecake Factory is fine dining, I'm not surprised.

I ordered the Kung Pao-Style Calamari From the Wok with Fine Cut Vegetables, Ginger, Soy and Roasted Peanuts. $6.75 during happy hour. I thought I was getting calamari. But what I got was a calamari salad. A Chinese-Italian fusion, just like Columbus, who stole spaghetti from the Chinese and combined it with red sauce and pushed it off as Italian.

This was one of the most unique calamari dishes I've ever had. I wasn't sure if I was eating an Asian or Italian dish. The calamari was very chewy and not fresh at all. The veggies were fresh and hot, as it came right from the wok to me. I don't think this dish is worth the full, $13 price but for $6.75 it was fine.

Service at the bar was good. The young lady was very nice and always attentive. I was greeted as I sat down and she quickly got me a drink, then brought me the menu. I have been to many other pretenious bars where the bartender would look right through me. But this young lady was great. She could really teach others about service.

I don't think I would go back to Wildfish. The food is just ok and very pricey. I don't think the quality is worth the price. But service at the bar is top notch.