Saturday, March 22, 2008

Gyu-Kaku-Huntington Beach










Gyu-Kaku
7862 Warner Ave
Huntington Beach
714-842-8333

Japanese BBQ. Much like Korean BBQ, Japanese BBQ is where you cook the meat yourself. Gyu-Kaku has seven locations in the LA/OC area. I went to the Huntington Beach location and came away impressed.

The meats are served al carte and they are a bit pricey. I got the half order of the Kalbi Short rib, $7.95, aburi style ahi tuna, $7.95, and the Yuzu pepper chicken breast, $5.50. They come marinated in a light soy sauce and after you cook them on the grill you can drip them into the sauces they provide. I didn't put any other sauce on the meat.

I posted pictures with how each meat was raw, on the grill, and finally done. The first was the short rib. The ribs are boneless, sliced thin, and cook up really fast. They are marinated in a light soy sauce and topped with green onions. I thought the ribs were nice and tender but even with the marinate, lacked flavor. If I went back I would order another beef item.

I loved the aburi style ahi tuna. This was so nice and flavorful. I cooked the first batch a little too well done but the second batch was perfect. The tuna had a wonderful texture and flavor. This is a good quality ahi tuna they use.

I also loved the yuzu pepper chicken. The yuku pepper is a spicy marinate and wow does this taste great. The chicken is cut basically into cubes, they are thicker than the short ribs and ahi tuna, so they take a little longer on the grill. The spiciness wasn't from the pepper but the yuku which I have no idea what it is, but I really like.

Service is good. The people are nice and friendly and take the time to explain their menu and how Japanese BBQ works.

I would go back to Gyu-Kaku. But I do think they are pricey and the portions can be bigger. If you go with a large group, consider ordering the Prix Fix combos that include rice, salad, and veggies.