Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Original State Door Deli



The Original State Door Deli
26 Vesey St.
NYC
212-791-5252

While visiting Ground Zero, I wanted to get something to eat in the area. One of those hot dog carts didn't sound too appealing. While walking back to the subway station, I saw The Original Stage Door Deli and figured I need to go there. Why? I'll tell you later.

I ordered the corned beef sandwich, $7.25, on rye with a bag of pototoe chips. This corned beef was Boar's Head brand corned beef. Boar's Head is a good quality meat but I'm excepting something more when I go to a NY deli. The sandwich was tasty and the corned beef was lean. This sandwich was good and well worth the price but this isn't anything special.

Service is good. People are nice and friendly.

The reason I wanted to go to The Original Stage Door Deli was because it was only a few yards from the World Trade Center. As I mentioned I went to Ground Zero and so many emotions came to mind. While I was eating my sandwich, I thought of all the people who were killed Sept. 11th, who may have eaten at this deli. I thought of the people who escaped and how they may have eaten at this deli. How many people, who used to work at the World Trade Center, went to lunch at The Original Stage Door Deli? How many people made plans to have lunch at The Original Stage Door Deli on Sept 11, 2001? The reason I went to The Original Stage Door Deli was to honor all those who died on Sept. 11th.