Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Playa-Closed





Playa
1425 Beverly
Montebello
323-721-7291

As you may have noticed when I go to Mexican places it's mostly tacos, burritos, and tortas. But I decided to see what Mexican seafood is all about. So I went to Playa to try ceviche. Ceviche is shrimp that is cooked with the citrus juices with tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions. It is very tasty and refreshing. I ordered the ceviche de camron tostada, shrimp tostada, for $3.25. I really enjoyed my first taste of ceviche. It was filled with tons of shrimp and the lime juice made it really freshing. The tostada shell was thick and stayed crunchy even with all the juices from the ceviche. I loved it and can't wait to have ceviche again.

The shrimp taco was great too. First of all it was huge and filled with tons of fried shrimp in a spicy batter. Sour cream, cabbage, onions, and a red sauce topped with taco and made it a great taco.

Depending on when you go, service can be a little tough. I don't speak Spanish and they guy taking the order only spoke Spanish. Good thing other customers spoke Spanish. I guess the owner speaks English but she wasn't there when I went.

I would go to Playa anytime. The portions are huge and they don't cheat you out of shrimp in the ceviche. They give you more than enough shrimp!!!