Sunday, October 08, 2006

Hof's Hut-Orange-Closed



Hof's Hut
4050 Chapman Ave
Orange
714-634-8606

There used to be a lot more Hof's locations but I know 2-3 locations that have closed down within the past 2-3 years. Hof's Hut is a nice casual restaurant that used to serve good food at good prices.

I went to the Hof's Hut in Orange and ordered the crab and shrimp melt. It's shrimp and imitation crab served open faced with bacon, tomato, avocado and melted jack and cheddar cheese. The menu says sourdough bread but the bread wasn't sourdough. The amount of imitation crab and shrimp was lacking. The picture may make the melt look big but there wasn't a lot of shrimp or imitation crab. The bacon was crisp, but the avocado was mushy and not fresh at all. The fruit was very fresh but when the melt was served, cold fruit was put on the hot melt. Something isn't right. The melt is listed at $8.79 on the menu.

Service was good. The hostess greeted me at second I walked in. I sat at the counter and the waitress came within 2-3 minutes of me sitting down. The waitress was nice enough but within two minutes of her giving me my order, she asked how everything was. At least give me some more time before asking. I barely got one bite in before she asked. She also didn't see I needed a refill of water.

I used to like going to Hof's but I was a little disappointed on this trip back. Maybe the fact that a couple locations have closed is a sign the quality of the food is slipping. I don't think I would go back to Hof's.