Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Golden Wok & Louisiana Fried Chicken





Golden Wok & Louisiana Fried Chicken
1725 Garey Ave.
Pomona
909-620-5057

While checking for more Louisiana Fried Chicken locations, I found out that a second Pomona location has opened. Just like the other location, it's in the same store as a Chinese food. This location also serves donuts, 24/7. I was surprised that it wasn't that crowded during lunch time. There are many businesses close to the area.

I ordered the one item combo with BBQ pork. The fried rice was dry, very little soy sauce was used, and lacked any flavor. Small amounts of carrots and peas didn't add much to the rice. The chow mein looked pretty greasy but it was pretty good. Good flavor but a little overcook and/or sitting on the steam table for too long. The BBQ pork was the worst BBQ pork I've ever had. Overcooked and very tough on the outside and lots of fat on the inside. I wasn't happy with my choice.

But I was happy with my choice of the fried chicken breast. The combo and fried chicken were $6.52. The chicken was fresh and juicy. Not sitting under heat lamps. The outside is crunchy and very spicy, lots of flavor. Inside is moist and juicy.

Service was very good. I was greeted quickly and in a friendly way. When I ordered the Chinese food, she even asked if I wanted to sample one of the items. When I was paying she asked if I wanted a cup of water with my meal. Very nice and fast. I went the day before and they actually cooked my fried chicken to order!!! I ordered two breasts and they only had one. They gave me two freshly cooked pieces of fried chicken. They don't cheat or take the easy way out. Very impressive.

I would not go back for the Chinese food. But I would go back for the fried chicken. It was awesome. I think the fried chicken is much better than the other Louisina Fried Chicken, in Pomona but the Chinese food was much better at China Bowl Express.

I've gotten some emails from people who say the Chinese restaurants I review aren't really true Chinese restaurants. Well I never claimed they were. I know most are Chinese fast food and aren't anywhere close to be authentic. But who cares? Most, serve good food at good prices. Plus I always don't have the time to go to a sit down Chinese restaurant.