Friday, September 29, 2006

Lucille's-Brea



Lucille's
1639 Imperial Hwy
Brea
714-990-4944

Lucille's was the top rated BBQ place by Nine on the Town. Too bad Nine on the Town didn't go to South Central LA to find the best BBQ. But Lucille's caters to the suburban BBQ lovers and they do a great business. Too bad they don't do a good BBQ.

I ordered the half rack of St. Louis Spare ribs, with corn and mac and cheese, for about $25 with tax and tip. The ribs are baked in an oven, then grilled to make them hot, smothered in a sweet, sticky BBQ sauce and then served. They have three different BBQ sauces at your table, a regular, spicy and a Memphis BBQ sauce. I only tried the Memphis and it was actually damn good, one of the better BBQ sauces I've had. It's has a spicy flavor that really kicks in. I like it. I didn't care for the ribs too much. They were fairly meaty but they were a little chewy and lacked any smoke flavor. In the last picture you do not see the classic smoke ring. The corn was steamed/boiled and then grilled. It was OK, not sweet but tender. The mac and cheese was pretty bland. They need to add something to it.

Service was good, except for the fact the waitress forgot the wet towels after dinner. She was attentive, helpful and friendly so I won't hold forgetting the wet towels against her.

I would not go back to Lucille's. The ribs are decent but not worth the $19.95 menu price. They do get very busy, so expect a 30-45 minute wait during dinner. One plus for Lucille's instead of giving mints they give out Tootsie pops, including the blue raspberry, which I didn't know they made.

Please note, if you're going to comment about Lucille's or any other BBQ place I've reviewed, spare me the "You should try the brisket or the pulled pork." Those comments will be deleted. I have already stated I only go to BBQ place for PORK SPARE RIBS. There are many other blogs that review the other meats served at BBQ places. Or create your own blog. My blog will only review the PORK RIBS.