Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Giuseppe's Italian Deli-Closed



Giuseppe's Italian Deli
958 Diamond Bar Blvd.
Diamond Bar
909-860-3661

Giuseppe's used to be my standby sandwich place. They used to have the best sandwiches in the area. But until today I had not been to Giuseppe's for almost six years. I started going in 1993 just when the owner at the time was selling the deli to an older couple. At first the older couple kept up the quality of the other owner. But by the late 90's the older couple allowed the quality of their sandwiches to slip by using lesser quality meats and breads. Then the older couple sold the deli to a Mexican man, who then sold it to the current owner.

I ordered a small pastrami sandwich for $5.49, with mayo, lettuce, tomatoe and provolone cheese. The bread was a nice and soft Italian roll. The crust was a bit hard but otherwise the roll was pretty good. But the pastrami was so salty I drank a gallon of water to wash down the sandwich. I can't believe something could be that salty. The sign outside says Boardshead meats but I've never had anything from Boardshead that was that salty. The lettuce was fresh but the tomaotes were not fresh at all. A below average sandwich. I could have gotten a better sandwich at Subway.

Service was good and friendly. The current owner answering all my questions about the changes in ownership through the years.

I wouldn't go back for the sandwiches.