Saturday, June 10, 2006

Father’s Office



Father’s Office
1018 Montana
Santa Monica
310-393-2337

After hearing so many good and bad things about Father's Office, I finally went and tried it. The first myth that needs to be cleared up: There are NO substitutions, Modications, Alerations or Deletions. This is on their menu in bold letters. Which means if you don't like caramelized onions on your burger, tough, they will come with carmelized onions.

A buddy and I split the Office Burger, which is a pricey, $10.75. The Office Burger is made with dry aged beef, caramelized onions, applewoud bacon compote, gruyere, maytage blue cheese and arugula, on a french roll. As you can see not the usual things somebody puts on a burger. There are a lot of flavors competing and the caramelized onions really stand out with it's sweetness. Surprising I liked it. The french roll is toasted and very soft. The burger was cooked medium rare and was nice and juicy. While I do like the burger there are so many different flavors working together so it's almost like you're not eating a burger.

Now another myth is that people are Father's Office are a bunch of jerks. But that wasn't the case for me, I grant you that there may have been times when people are jerks but I haven't seen it. Though I did have a huge problem with their entrance policy. They allowed my friend in and he was the 49th person in Father's Office. Thus until somebody came out, I couldn't get in. I guess the fire marshall has been around and more than 49 people would be a violation and fine. It turned out ok because the very nice girl, who was first in line, allowed me to be first in line, as she was waiting for five other people. During the wait, the girl was a walking ad campaign for Father's Office with her "This is the best burger you'll ever have." I think being on the West Side some people may have chip on their shoulder to that "West Side" attitude. I find many places in Orange County to be worst, with jerk people and the dumb surfer dude and his dumb blonde beach bunny.

There is no table service, you have to go the bar and order. The female bartender was a sassy, smart a$$ed young lady. Which is a plus in the my book. I ordered a real Coke in a glass bottle. The Coke was made and bottled in Mexico, where they are made with sugar and not that crappy corn syrup. She was giving me good natured attitude and being the smart a$$ I am, I returned the favor.

I had a good experience at Father's Office and enjoyed the burger. I don't like the have it my way, welcome to Russia way of ordering but sometimes you can't change things. Parking can be an issue and of course you will be waiting in line awhile to get in.