Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Big Mama’s Rib Shack-Closed



Big Mama’s Rib Shack
1453 Lake Ave
Pasadena
626-797-1792

Big Mama's Rib Shack is more of a Soul Food restaurant than a ribs place. I ordered the BBQ ribs lunch portion with double mac and cheese for $9.18. Which included an extra 25 cent charge for take out orders.

Three big pieces of ribs came out nice and hot. But they were not smoked, they were grilled over hickory wood. But the ribs are good. They are nice and tender and have a nice seasoning on them. The BBQ sauce was tomato based and was on the spicy side but I wasn't impressed with it. Too thin and it didn't add to the flavor of the ribs.

The mac and cheese was nothing special. I don't understand what part of mac and cheese people don't understand. It's not 90% mac and 10% cheese. This batch of mac and cheese barely had any cheese.

Service is pretty good. Though the wait was a little long, about 15 minutes for the ribs.

I would go back but I wouldn't rush back for the ribs. I would try some of the other items on their menu like smothered steak and their jumbo.