Friday, January 27, 2006

Johnnie’s Pastrami



Johnnie's
4017 S. Sepulveda Blvd.
Culver City,
310-397-6654

Thanks to the Soul Fusion Kitchen blog, I found out about Johnnie's Pastrami in Culver City. They have been opened since 1952 and so close to Tito's Tacos you can smell the blended salsa. There is very limited parking behind Johnnies though a security guard is on duty directing traffic. I told a friend I would bring her some tacos from Tito's so I parked in Tito's lot.

Johnnie has a small dining room. About 10 tables and two sets of counter seating. But they have plenty of patio seating. When I entered there was a long take out line. I found a seat at the counter. Within two minutes a waitress came and took my order, a hot pastrami sandwich for $8.75 and an order of onion rings for $4.10. Within five minutes the waitress came with the sandwich and onion rings.

On a french roll the pastrami was piled high and had a wonderful aroma. I put a little regular yellow mustard and I started to dig in. After the first bite I knew this was a very good sandwich. I think it's way better than that overrated Langers. I finished the sandwich, enjoying each and every bite.

The onion rings were greasy and lacked any real crunch. Not worth the high price. I wouldn't order the onion rings again.

I notice a lot of people ordered burgers and I was very tempted to order a burger was I was too full. The burgers are about the size of a hubcab!! Maybe next time.

I would gladly go back to Johnnies if I was in the area. I think The Hat is a much better value and while The Hat's pastrami doesn't quite meaure up to Johnnie's, the Hat Pastrami sandwiches are cheaper while being about the same size.