Monday, October 24, 2005

Jerry's Dogs-La Habra-Closed


Jerry's Dogs
1360 S Beach Blvd
Suite C
La Habra CA
562-697-4644

Update Nov. 8, 2010.

I went back to Jerry's Dogs because the pictures I posted weren't that good.

I found out that Jerry's used white oak wood to grill their hot dogs. The buns are steamed.

I got the Jerry's Signature Dog, $3.85, topped with Cleveland Stadium mustard and raw white onions. The Cleveland Stadium mustard is a spicy mustard, but not as spicy as the brown mustard.

The hot dog is an all beef dog in natural casing. The hot dog has a nice snap but the meat isn't that flavorful. The first time I went to Jerry's Dogs, the Signature Dog was $3.50. It is now $3.85. That's not bad, for the price to increase by 35 cents, in five years.

Service was pretty good. The guy who puts the toppings onto the hot dog, allowed me to taste the Cleveland Stadium mustard.

The question about hot dogs; is the hot dog worth the extra money from a $1.50 Costco hot dog. While I think Jerry's Dogs is reasonable, now, it isn't worth the extra money. A Costco, hot dog would be better.

Oct. 24, 2005 Review:

A nice hot dog place in the middle of chain restaurants make Jerry's Dogs stand out. The La Habra location is the on the corner of Beach and Imperial Hwy. They also have a location in Santa Ana off the 55 freeway.

All hot dogs are prepared over a wood fire grill. I ordered the Jerry's Signature Dog for $3.50. At Jerry's you can have as many toppings as you want, just tell the guys and they will put whatever you want. So I asked for yellow mustard, raw onions, tomatoes, celery salt, and a pickle spear. I was surprised when the guy said Chicago style. I wasn't sure if they would know what Chicago style is, so I just list the toppings. He even ask do you want peppers and as readers of my blog should know, I do not put peppers on my hot dogs.

The hot dog was good but not great. The toppings were all fresh. But the hot dog itself had a decent snap but seemed to be a run of the mill hot dog. Nothing special but nothing bad either. The signature dog is the only hot dog with natural casing.

Good friendly service but I think the place is a little overpriced. I would go back to either location but it wouldn't be my first choice.