Sunday, September 10, 2006

Canter's Deli






Canter’s Deli
419 North Fairfax
LA
323-651-2030

Canter's has been in LA since 1924. Since I was near Canter's I decided to try their pastrami sandwich. The pastrami was $10.55 and was stacked with lean cuts of pastrami, on rye bread. The pastrami was a little on the dry side, I put some regular yellow mustard to add some moisture, and was sort of lukewarm. I wasn't too happy with that. I wanted a hot pastrami sandwich. I didn't think the pastrami was overwhelming but much better than Johnny's in Culver City. I really liked the rye bread with it's crunchy crust and soft bread.

Service was good. I sat at the counter and while it took a while before I got a drink, I wasn't ignored. The server acknowledged me and said he would be right there. Nothing worse than sittting at a restaurant and the servers not talking to you. The order came up quickly but the pastrami wasn't hot, it was lukewarm.

If I went back to Canter's I would order another sandwich. I wasn't too impressed with the pastrami. I would rather go to The Hat in Glendora or The Hat in Alhambra for pastrami. I will soon review the pastrami at Langer's, which I've already been to but wasn't impressed with.