Thursday, November 05, 2009

Zankou Chicken- Montebello





Zankou Chicken
125 N Montebello Blvd
Montebello
323-722-7200

I know that Zankou Chicken has been around forever and there are many locations in the LA area. But I have not been to any Zankou Chicken. I have heard the way to go is their rotisserie chicken but when I found out they had kebobs I wanted to try both.

So I got a combo kebob plate, beef and chicken, $9.95, and a whole rotisserie chicken, $8.99.

The combo plate comes with hummus, salad, onions and rice. First the chicken kebobs. Very good among the best chicken kebobs I have had. Nice flavor, moist, tender, flavorful. It was great.

The beef kebob was tender, well seasoned, and flavorful, but dry, very dry. If the beef was cooked to medium it would have been very good.

The hummus was very, nice texture and not a ton of garlic or tangy as other hummus I had. I liked the rice but there just wasn't enough rice.

When I placed the order, asked that the rotisserie chicken be packed to go. But I opened it up and took a couple bites while I was there. I wasn't impressed. The chicken was a bit small and very dry, not moist at all. I do think it is full of flavor, smells great but it was on the rotisserie too long. For a few bucks less I can get a bigger chicken that is moist from Costco.

Service was very good. The young lady who took my order was nice and friendly. She ask there wouldn't be any problem packing up the rotisserie chicken to go and just let her know when I wanted the chicken packed. She brought my order to my table. She worked hard and did her job really well.

I wouldn't come back to Zankou for their rotisserie chicken but I think their chicken kebob and hummus is great!!! They deserve a second chance on the beef kebob but not the rotisserie chicken. That is their signature item and they missed.