Saturday, October 25, 2008

Five Guys Famous Burgers



Five Guys Famous Burgers
20700 Avalon Blvd
Carson, CA 90746
310- 515-7700

This is a Maryland based chain that is trying to make Californians forget about In N Out. Five Guys uses fresh, never frozen meat, just like In N Out. Their store decor is red and white tile. Just like In N Out.

I ordered the cheeseburger, $4.99. A cheeseburger is a double meat and cheese burger. You get to pick your toppings, all free, so I got a basic burger, mayo, ketchup, lettuce and tomato. The first time I noticed was the lettuce was white. I prefer green lettuce and get that almost all the time, when I get a regular double-double. Oh well it was fresh but white lettuce to me just doesn't look good. The beef was a good quality beef. As good as the beef In N Out uses. The burgers are bigger than In N Out, but I don't think they are worth the $2 extra price. So I think Five Guys isn't worth the price for what you get. A good burger but nothing outstanding.

I did not order any fries because $10 for a burger, fries and drink isn't something I wanted to pay for at a fast food place. I know people say their fries are so much better than In N Out but I don't go to a burger place for their fries. I did like the fact they offered Cherry Coke. I love Cherry Coke almost as much as I hated New Coke. Sorry for this random comment but I over heard somebody say "That's a new Coke machine." and I was reminded of that terrible tasting New Coke. I almost never came back to Coke, even when they produced Coke Classic. But Coke Classic is still the best cola around.

The biggest difference I noticed is that Five Guys offers bacon burgers and the following toppings, mushrooms, A-1 steaksauce, BBQ sauce and hot sauce.

Service is good and they served up the burger pretty quickly. I did find it weird that dining in, they still wrap up the burger in foil and it's placed in a paper bag.

I would go back to Five Guys if I was in the area. But it wouldn't be my top three choices. Again a good burger but not worth the price.