Monday, February 11, 2008

George's Greek Cafe



George's Greek Cafe
5316 E 2nd St
Long Beach
562-433-1755

George's Greek Cafe was a real treat. I haven't had much experience with Greek food. But we decided to go to George's Greek Cafe on 2nd St in Belmont Shore.

We started with an appetizer, hummus, $4.25. This was a very smooth and fresh hummus.

I got the chicken souvlakia, $11.95 with rice and steamed veggies. The chicken was marinated with lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, and spices like oregano. The chicken was all white meat and was tender and juicy. The marinated added a unique flavor, much different than the flavor of kabobs. I really liked this dish. I thought the portion was a bit small for the price but the quality was top notch.

The rice is cooked in a chicken brooth and was outstanding. The steamed veggies included broccolli, carrots and green beans and was cooked just right. Not mushy with a nice snap or crisp.

Service was very good. Our server explained to us how they marinated and cooked the dishes. We did not lack for water and our food came out quickly.

I would go back to George's anytime. What a great treat.

UPDATE Feb 27, 2008



I went back to George's to try the beef souvlakia, $11.95. The spices were the same as the chicken, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, and spices like oregano. But I didn't like the quality of the beef. It was very tough, not tender at all. It tasted like those process beef products. Very chewy and not juicy at all.

Service was still very good. I would not try the beef souvlakia again.