Saturday, November 24, 2007

Lascari's





Lascari's
16255 E Whittier Blvd
Whittier
562-943-1113

Lascari's has been opened since 1970. They have three locations, a bakery and deli, a grill and a restaurant. After visiting their restaurant, there is no need for me to go to the bakery or grill.

I ordered their half spaghetti and half ravioli with two meatballs, $10.99, which includes your choice of soup or salad. I picked the salad with ranch dressing. One of the most interesting salads I've had. Mostly lettuce but they came with both kidney and garbonzo beans. A nice touch, very fresh and healthy.

The meatballs were good. Large ground beef mixed with good spices. The spaghetti was cooked just right but the meat sauce was a bit sour tasting though. It could have used more herbs and spices or just adding more sugar. But not too bad. If I just ordered the spaghetti and meatballs I would have been fine.

But I made the huge mistake of ordering the ravioli. You get a choose of beef or cheese ravioli and I picked the beef. The ravioli was terrible. I would have been better opening up a can of ravioli. The ravioli was hard and bland. Not taste at all. It seemed as though the ravioli had been sitting in a pan the entire day and they tried to quickly heat it up and put it on my plate. It was terrible. The beef was fine but it was cold!!!! What the hell is that?

Service was good though we rarely saw the server. The busboys came to our table to refill drinks and give us more bread. The server only came to our table to take our order, drop off the food, came back twice to see if dinner was ok and to give us the check. The busboys did a lot of work and they deserve the tip. Not the server, who was pleasant and all but hardly worked.

I would not go to Lascari's again. Terrible food and while the prices are fair, why does it matter if the food sucks?