Saturday, April 14, 2007

La Serenata-Closed





La Serenata
1842 E First St.
LA
323-265-2887

La Serenata is a very good upscale Mexican seafood restaurant. The First St. location isn't in the best of neighborhoods. But I didn't feel I was in any type of danger.

Shrimp cocktail, $15.95. Ok very pricey for shrimp cocktail. But the quality of the shrimp was very high. The shrimp was tender and tasty.

Halibut ceviche, $6.95. This is the first time I've ever had a fish ceviche. I've had the shrimp ceviche plenty of time and thought trying the halibut ceviche would be a good idea. But for some reason, I didn't like this dish. Just the tangy citrus and the texture and flavor of halibut just don't go together. For me the flavor combination didn't work for me. The halibut was fresh and good quality. The tomatoes, onions were very fresh. If you like halibut ceviche, I'm sure you would like this dish.

The last picture is the scallops a la plancha, $22.95, which is topped with mushrooms, garlic and green chiles. The scallops are huge and very fresh. I liked how all the flavors worked very well together. Though a bit on the pricey side, I thought it was very good quality seafood.

Service was pretty good. The server was nice and friendly. The language barrier got in the way a couple times but nothing too bad.

While I think La Serenata is a bit pricey, I would go back again. It's good quality food and the portions are fairly big.