Saturday, April 14, 2007

House of Kebobs-Closed


House of Kabob
2110 Whitter Blvd
Montebello
323-721-8956

Montebello should be renamed Kebob City or Kabob City. This must be the fifth kebob restaurant in Montebello I've been to. But the most interesting. It's a huge sit down restaurant. The other kebob places are either "fast food" type places or have much smaller dining areas. This must be the least popular kebob restaurant in Montebello. I went on a Saturday night around 7pm. We left around 8:30pm and during that time period there were only ten people there the entire time. Not sure why but I found it interesting.

I wanted to take a break from beef so I ordered the shish taouk kebob, al carte, $11.25. Maybe it was lost in translation but House of Kabob al carte includes, soup or salad and bread. A nice touch but the green salad is just your standard green salad. This was chicken breast grilled with rice pilaf. Now I love basmati rice, so having rice pilaf is kind of a letdown. Not that big of a deal but use the good rice. Not the cheap stuff. Anyways the chicken was a bit dry and lack flavor. They didn't put many or any spices on the chicken.

Service was ok but what I hated about this place was that the owner and his friend were sitting down and smoking. I hate scumbag smokers. It's a nasty habit and I don't feel like smelling like an ashtray after eating. I'm trying to enjoy dinner and some scumbag smoker, who shouldn't even be in the damn restaurant is lighting up.

I would not go back to House of Kabobs. There are much better kebob places in Montebello.