Saturday, February 24, 2007

NYC Seafood





NYC Seafood
715 Garvey Ave
Monterey Park
626-289-9898

My girlfriend loves lobster and I wanted her to try lobster from a Chinese restaurant. I've heard good things about NYC Seafood and nice my girlfriend is from New York City, I thought it would make a good dining experience.

We ordered the hot and sour soup, $8.45. Very good stuff with lots of tofu and mushrooms. I think this was the perfect combination of hot, about medium, and sour.

Next came the lobster. We just had the lobster steamed and dipped it in drawn butter. The lobster was tender and flavorful. I enjoyed every bite. But one thing, they bring a live lobster to your table and tell you how many pounds it weighs. Our lobster was about 3 pounds, which looked huge live. But when they brought it to our table it was less than impressive. I'm all about the food. I don't care that much about presentation. But this time the presentation of the lobster was terrible. It would have looked much better if they gave us the entire lobster. Lobster is basically $13 a pound.

The last picture is shrimp fried rice, $7.95. The shrimp were big but there weren't that many in the rice. The rice was basically mixed with some green onions and cooked in oil. There wasn't much to the fried rice. The shrimp is just folded into the rice. Nothing special.

Service was good. They were attentive and provided us quick service.

I would not go back to NYC Seafood, since in Monterey Park there are many other Chinese seafood restaurants to try. The food isn't bad but there's nothing really that outstanding about it.