Sunday, November 05, 2006

555 East Steakhouse



555 East
555 East Ocean Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90802
562-437-0626

I haven't been to a steakhouse in a very long time. So I decide to go to 555 East in Long Beach. It's known for prime steaks served in an old fashioned steakhouse.

I ordered the rib rye for about $47, tax and tip included. The rib eye was cooked just right, medium rare. Some steakhouses have a problem cooking their steaks just right but 555 did a very good job. But the rib eye was disappointing. I wasn't impressed with the flavor or tenderness. It was OK but it wasn't outstanding and sure as hell wasn't worth the high price. The rib eye wasn't also the leanest cut of meat I've had either. Each steak includes your choice of potato or a veggie medley. The veggie medley was small and included, red peppers, green beans, and squash. There was nothing special about the veggie medley.

Service was the food, for our party of ten, was good. Our waitress was attentive and provided quality service. But their reservation systems sucks. I had reservations for ten at 7pm. We didn't get seated until about 8pm. Part of that was some members of our party came late. But when everybody was there, we had to wait for at least 20 minutes before being seated. The hostess gave us the excuse that a table for eight was already set but they needed to wait for the people sitting at another table to have a table for ten. I thought my reservation would take priority.

I wouldn't go back to 555. The steaks aren't that good, especially for the prices.